Highly flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Vapour/air mixtures are explosive.
NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking. Closed system, ventilation, explosion-proof electrical equipment and lighting. Use non-sparking handtools. Prevent build-up of electrostatic charges (e.g., by grounding).
Use foam, powder, carbon dioxide. In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.
Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.
Redness. Skin burns. Pain. Blisters.
Protective gloves. Protective clothing.
Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer for medical attention .
Redness. Pain. Blurred vision. Severe deep burns.
Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Convulsions. Sore throat. Vomiting. See Inhalation.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Remove all ignition sources. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Personal protection: chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
UN Hazard Class: 3; UN Subsidiary Risks: 8; UN Pack Group: II
Fireproof. Separated from strong oxidants and acids. Well closed.
Unbreakable packaging. Put breakable packaging into closed unbreakable container.
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance COLOURLESS-TO-YELLOW LIQUID WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.
Physical dangers The vapour is heavier than air and may travel along the ground; distant ignition possible.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on burning. This produces toxic fumes including nitrogen oxides. The substance is a strong base. Reacts violently with oxidants. It reacts violently with acid and is corrosive.
Molecular mass: 71
Boiling point: 89°C Melting point: -63°C Relative density (water = 1): 0.85 Solubility in water: miscible Vapour pressure, kPa at 39°C: 1.8 Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.45 Flash point: 3°C Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.9-13.0 Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 0.46
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is corrosive to the eyes and skin. The substance is irritating to the respiratory tract. The substance may cause effects on the nervous system.
Inhalation risk No indication can be given about the rate at which a harmful concentration of this substance in the air is reached on evaporation at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
MAK skin absorption (H)
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.