Highly flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Vapour/air mixtures are explosive.
NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking. Closed system, ventilation, explosion-proof electrical equipment and lighting. Do NOT use compressed air for filling, discharging, or handling.
Use powder, foam, carbon dioxide. In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.
Cough. Nausea. Sore throat. Weakness.
Use local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.
Wear safety spectacles.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Rinse mouth. Induce vomiting (ONLY IN CONSCIOUS PERSONS!). Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Evacuate danger area! Consult an expert! Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Do NOT wash away into sewer.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
UN Hazard Class: 3; UN Pack Group: II
Fireproof. Separated from strong oxidants. Cool.
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Physical dangers The vapour is heavier than air and may travel along the ground; distant ignition possible.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on burning. This produces toxic and corrosive fumes of sulfur oxides. Reacts violently with oxidants. This generates fire and explosion hazard.
Formula: C2H6S / (CH3)2S
Molecular mass: 62.1
Boiling point: 37.3°C Melting point: -98°C Relative density (water = 1): 0.85 Solubility in water: none Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 53.2 Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.1 Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.6 Flash point: -49°C Auto-ignition temperature: 205°C Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.2-19.7 Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 0.84
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is irritating to the eyes and skin.
Inhalation risk A harmful contamination of the air can be reached rather quickly on evaporation of this substance at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
TLV: 10 ppm as TWA
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.