|COBALT (II) CHLORIDE||ICSC: 0783 (April 2013)|
| CAS #: 7646-79-9
|EC Number: 231-589-4
|ACUTE HAZARDS||PREVENTION||FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE & EXPLOSION||Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! AVOID ALL CONTACT!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Shortness of breath. Wheezing.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear safety goggles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Diarrhoea. Nausea. Vomiting.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .|
|SPILLAGE DISPOSAL||CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
According to UN GHS Criteria
DANGERHarmful if swallowed
May be harmful in contact with skin
Causes eye irritation
May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled
May cause an allergic skin reaction
May cause cancer if inhaled
Suspected of causing genetic defects
May damage fertility or the unborn child
May cause damage to thyroid, bone marrow and heart through prolonged or repeated exposure if swallowed
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|Dry. Separated from oxidants and food and feedstuffs. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing.|
|Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.|
|COBALT (II) CHLORIDE||ICSC: 0783|
|PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION|
Physical State; Appearance
|EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS|
Routes of exposure
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS|
TLV: (as Co, inhalable fraction): 0.02 mg/m3, as TWA; (DSEN); (RSEN); A3 (confirmed animal carcinogen with unknown relevance to humans); BEI issued.
MAK: (as Co, inhalable fraction): skin absorption (H); sensitization of respiratory tract and skin (SAH); carcinogen category: 2; germ cell mutagen group: 3A
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. The substance may cause long-term effects in the aquatic environment. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
|Anyone who has shown symptoms of asthma due to this substance should avoid all further contact.
The symptoms of asthma often do not become manifest until a few hours have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort. Rest and medical observation are therefore essential.
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
The recommendations on this Card also apply to Cobalt (II) chloride hydrates: Cobalt (II) chloride hexahydrate (CAS 7791-13-1), Cobalt (II) chloride dihydrate (CAS 14216-74-1).
Symbol: T, N; R: 49-60-22-42/43-68-50/53; S: 53-45-60-61; Note: E, 1
|All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.|