Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Above 82°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.
NO open flames. Above 82°C use a closed system and ventilation.
Use powder, water spray, carbon dioxide.
Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest.
Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.
Wear safety goggles.
Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible).
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Remove vapour with fine water spray.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Combustible liquid Very toxic to aquatic life
Transportation UN Classification
UN Hazard Class: 9; UN Pack Group: III
Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Separated from strong bases and strong oxidants. Cool. Well closed. Keep in a well-ventilated room. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Physical dangers No data.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on heating. This produces carbon monoxide, chlorine and hydrogen chloride. Reacts violently with strong oxidants and strong bases.
Molecular mass: 161.0
Boiling point: 198°C Melting point: 2.8°C Density: 1.28 g/cm³ Solubility in water, g/100ml at 25°C: (very poor) Vapour pressure, Pa at 25°C: 34 Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.00 Flash point: 82°C Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 4.29
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure
Effects of short-term exposure
Inhalation risk No indication can be given about the rate at which a harmful concentration of this substance in the air is reached on evaporation at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
The substance is toxic to aquatic organisms. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.
Health effects of exposure to the substance have not been investigated adequately.
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.