Avenues for redress (penalties, remedies) and litigation procedure for individual complaints - Saudi Arabia - 2017
+ show references
- Labour Law, Royal Decree No. M/51 as last amended by the Ministerial Resolution No. 50945 adopted on 29 January, 2017
Date: 29 Jan 2017 (view in NATLEX »)
Compensation for unfair dismissal - free determination by court: Yes
- Art. 77 LL: "If the contract is terminated for an invalid reason, the party who is harmed by such termination shall be entitled to indemnity to be assessed by the Commission for the Settlement of Labor Disputes, taking into account the termination circumstances and actual and potential material and moral damages sustained".
Reinstatement available: Yes
Preliminary mandatory conciliation: Yes
- Prior to referrimg any dispute to the Commission (acting as a Labour Court), it shall be brought to the labour office which shall attempt to settle it amicably (art 220 LL).
No information available as to any mandatory conciliation before the Commission for the Settlement of Labour Disputes.
Competent court(s) / tribunal(s): labour court
- Art. 77 LL & art. 210 to 228 LL on labour disputes settlement.
The competent body is the Commission for the Settlement of Labour Disputes which is part of the judiciary.
The Commission can only be seized after the amicable settlement before the labor office has failed.
Existing arbitration: Yes
- Art. 224 LL: The parties can agree to settle the dispute through arbitration.