Avenues for redress (penalties, remedies) and litigation procedure for individual complaints - Algeria - 2013
+ show references
- Labour Relations Act [LRA], Act No. 90-11 of 21 April 1990, as last amended Order No. 97-02 of 11 January 1997
(in French only: Loi no 90-11 du 21 avril 1990 relative aux relations de travail, telle que modifiée par l'ordonnance no 97-02 du 11 janvier 1997)
Date: 11 Jan 1997 (view in NATLEX »)
- Legislative Decree No. 94-09 on the preservation of employment and protection of employees who may unintentionally lose their job
(in French only: Décret législatif no 94-09 du 26 mai 1994 portant préservation de l'emploi et protection des salariés susceptibles de perdre de façon involontaire leur emploi)
Date: 26 May 1994; view website »
- Individual Labour Disputes Settlement Act [ILDSA], No. 90-04 of 6 February 1990
(in French only: Loi n° 90-04 du 6 février 1990 relative an reglement des conflits individuels de travail)
Date: 06 Feb 1990 (view in NATLEX »)
Compensation for unfair dismissal - free determination by court: No
Compensation for unfair dismissal - Legal limits (ceiling in months or calculation method):
- Compensation for unfair disciplinary dismissal in lieu of reinstatement: at least 6 months' pay.
- In case of non-compliance with mandatory procedural requirements: the dismissal is void and the employer shall pay compensation which shall at least amount to back pay.
Reinstatement available: Yes
Preliminary mandatory conciliation: Yes
- Preliminary mandatory conciliation before the Conciliation Office (Bureau de Conciliation): see art. 19 of the Individual Labour Disputes Settlement Act.
The Conciliation Office is made up of 2 representatives of the employers and 2 workers' representatives (art. 6 ILDSA).
Competent court(s) / tribunal(s): labour court
- According to The Individual Labour Disputes Settlement Act, disputes regarding termination of employment are heard by the tribunal competent over labour matters [le "Tribunal siégeant en matiere sociale"] (art. 20 ILDSA). This tribunal shall comprise a judge and workers' and employers' representatives (art. 8 ILDSA).
Existing arbitration: No
- No arbitration for individual disputes.