Procedural requirements for individual dismissals - Spain - 2019
+ show references
- Workers' Statute (Estatuto de los trabajadores) [ET], Royal Decree Law 2/2015, consolidated version (Real Decreto Legislativo 2/2015, de 23 de octubre, por el que se aprueba el texto refundido de la Ley del Estatuto de los Trabajadores). Available only in Spanish.
Date: 13 Nov 2015; view website » (view in NATLEX »)
- Labour Procedure Law [LPL], Act No. 36/2011, (Ley 36/2011, de 10 de octubre, reguladora de la jurisdicción social). Available only in Spanish.
Date: 11 Dec 2011; view website »
- Law 11/2013 on measures to support the entrepeneur and promote growth and generate employment (Ley 11/2013, de 26 de julio, de medidas de apoyo al emprendedor y de estímulo del crecimiento y de la creación de empleo. Available only in Spanish.
Date: 26 Jul 2013; view website » (view in NATLEX »)
Notification to the worker to be dismissed: written
- - Dismissal based on objective reasons: art. 53(1)a) ET.
- Disciplinary dismissal: art. 55(1) ET.
- As a result of Law Act 35/2010, the notice period to be observed in the event of dismissal for an objective cause (e.g economic reasons, capacity-related reasons - see 'valid grounds') is now reduced to 15 days (instead of 30 days) (see art. 53(1)c) ET).
With respect to disciplinary dismissal, no notice is required.
- tenure ≥ 6 months
- tenure ≥ 9 months
- tenure ≥ 2 years
- tenure ≥ 4 years
- tenure ≥ 5 years
- tenure ≥ 10 years
- tenure ≥ 20 years
Pay in lieu of notice: Yes
- As a result of law 35/2010, if the employer fails to observe the notice requirements, he or she shall be liable to pay compensation in an amount equivalent to the period of notice that was not given (art. 53(4) ET).
Notification to the public administration: No
Notification to workers' representatives: No
- No general obligation to notify the worker's representatives in the event of dismissal.
However, notification is required in the following cases:
- In the event of objective dismissal based on technical, organizational, economic or production-related grounds which is not part of a pattern of collective dismissal, copy of the notice of dismissal shall be given to the worker's representatives (art. 53(1)c) ET).
- Where a trade unions member or trade union representative is dismissed by way of disciplinary dismissal (art. 55 (1) ET - see also above "worker's enjoying special protection")
Approval by public administration or judicial bodies: No
Approval by workers' representatives: No