ILO Home
Go to the home page
Site map | Contact us Franšais | Espa˝ol

CISDOC database

Document ID (ISN)108251
CIS number 08-580
ISSN - Serial title 1351-0711 - Occupational and Environmental Medicine
Year 2007
Convention or series no.
Author(s) Kreiss K.
Title Emerging opportunities to prevent occupational lung disease
Bibliographic information Aug. 2007, Vol.64, No.8, p.499-500. 12 ref.
Abstract Although 80% of cases of chronic obstructive respiratory disease are attributable to smoking, the remaining 20% are believed to be mostly due to occupational causes, particularly among persons below the age of 45. This editorial argues that population-based multidisciplinary follow-up of sentinel cases of emerging lung diseases suspected to be due to occupational factors can enable occupational physicians to recommend risk-based preventive measures.
Descriptors (primary) occupational diseases; epidemiology; industrial physicians; risk factors; occupational medicine; lung diseases
Descriptors (secondary) Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome; extrinsic allergic alveolitis; aetiology; food industry; asthma; cutting fluids; hazard evaluation; smoking
Document type D - Periodical articles
Country / State or ProvinceUSA
Subject(s) Occupational pathology
Broad subject area(s) Occupational medicine, epidemiology
Browse category(ies) Epidemiology
Diseases of the respiratory system (except for pneumoconiosis & similar)