After a sharp decline in 2000/ 2001 due to the Second Intifada, the Palestinian Economy slowly is recovering. However, looking at some main economic indicators the level of 1999 is not yet reached again. While the small number of large and sometimes internationally operating companies have endured the crisis more or less well it are the much more than 90 percent of SMEs which are still suffering. To overcome the situation the SMEs are in need for a substantial support – in terms of an appropriate legal framework, in terms of a satisfying access to financial resources but by priority in terms of high qualified as well as purpose and goal-directed ‘Business Advisory Services’. In this context, the Palestinian Chambers of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture can play a much more active role. According to their legal appointment as well as regarding their status as a mandatory association of the Palestinian Business Community, Chambers and their Federation are the born organizations to provide appropriate services to their membership companies or to facilitate access to reliable advisory agencies.
The development objective of the project is to foster sustainable and inclusive private sector development in the oPt. It focuses on:
- Building consensus among the Federations member Chambers and the wider private sector development on a capacity development and growth strategy for the FPCCIA
- Analyze the service providing requirements of the FPCCIA and the Chambers for improved capacity to deliver Business development services to the Palestinian business community, with particular emphasis on SMEs
- Initial capacity building for senior Federation and Chambers representatives and managers.
Upon completion of the project, the following results will be achieved:
- The financial resources and management capacity of the FPCCIA have been improved.
- Networking and coordination capacity of FPCCIA have been improved, as well as that of chambers with their respective members for better understanding of their needs.
- Awareness and knowledge of senior Federation and Chambers’ representatives and manager have been increased.