Host communities in Jordan and Lebanon now face a myriad of socioeconomic pressures stemming from the refugee crisis, including:
- An increase in labour supply which results in increased employment competition as well as downward pressure on wages, particularly among low-income and low productivity jobs;
- a rise in market demand which exerts upward pressure on consumer goods;
- a decrease in access and quality of public services including utilities, infrastructure, healthcare and education.
- an increase in child labour among refugees and host community residents, including the worst forms of child labour; and
- rising social tensions and lower social cohesion among refugees and host community residents.
The ILO ResponseAs the Syrian refugee crisis continues, the evolving nature of the crisis necessitates a response that encompasses humanitarian and development interventions which provide access to livelihoods and decent employment. As part of the wider UN-response to the refugee crisis, the ILO Regional Office for the Arab States has adopted a cross-cutting development-focused strategy in Lebanon and Jordan which supports both refugees and host community residents in order to preserve social and economic stability as well as realise the rights of both to decent work and social justice.
As such, the ILO strategy builds on existing country programmes in both Lebanon and Jordan to implement country-specific interventions that focus on the following areas of response to:
- Build the resilience of host communities in order to facilitate access to employment and livelihood opportunities;
- strengthen institutional capacity and coordination mechanisms at local, regional and national levels to combat unacceptable forms of work with a focus on child labour; and
- support policy development to ensure an employment-rich national response, embedded in the principles of decent work.
Tender ILO/EIIP ITB No 30/2019 Road Maintenance Jbeil - Annaya Road Maintenance 33 Km, and invitation to pre-qualification training.
Tender ILO/EIIP ITB No 29/2019 Road Maintenance Saida - Barte Road Road Maintenance 25 Km, and invitation to pre-qualification training.
Invitation to Bid: Tender ITB No 19/2019 Road Maintenance Zahle - Tarchich Road plus adjoining local roads 30km.
Invitation to Bid: Tender ILO/EIIP ITB No 19/2019 Road Maintenance Zahle - Tarchich Road plus adjoining local roads 30km, and invitation to pre-qualification training.