The majority of Lao are self-sufficient rice farmers. However, the Government aims to lift Laos off the list of least-developed countries by 2020. The Government places importance on country prosperity and welcomes local development strategies for employment creation, livelihood improvement and strengthening social dialogue.
The current sixth 5-year National Economic and Social Development Plan (2006-2010) covers:
- employment creation;
- stimulating the investment environment;
- strengthening social dialogue;
- improving social security and expand social protection;
- promoting safety and health, including HIV/AIDS workplace policy;
- safe labour migration;
- lifting Laos off the list of least-developed countries by 2020.
The ILO provides support in a number of areas, including improving and expanding social protection, skills development, better occupational safety and health (including an HIV/AIDS workplace policy) and safer labour migration. In addition it supports the development of employment services to ensure matching between job-seekers’ expectations and the skills requirements of domestic and foreign employers.