Funding mechanism: Programme Acceleration Fund (PAF), UNAIDS
Project budget: 69,122 USD
- To conduct a review of the public sector Human Resource policy guidelines to ensure strategic alignment and harmonization with the principles and actions of the National Policy Framework on HIV/AIDS and the World of Work;
- To establish a sustainable coordination and HIV delivery framework for the implementation of the National Plan of Action on HIV/AIDS and the World of Work, through inter-ministerial dialogue; and
- To support actions of relevant public sector institutions, within the framework of institutional capacity building, in order to move forward government’s obligations as outlined in the National Plan of Action to implement the policy on HIV/AIDS and the world of work.
1. Official launch of the National Plan of Action (NPA) on HIV/AIDS world of work Policy
The National Plan of Action (2010-2014) to implement the National Policy on HIV/AIDS and the World of Work will be jointly launched by the Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development, the Ministry of Public Service and Uganda AIDS Commission, and presented to other government ministries, departments and agencies and key stakeholders for adoption.
2. Joint ministerial meeting on Building consensus on the way forward on implementing the NPA
A joint ministerial meeting will be organized to develop a modus operandi that will take forward the implementation of the NPA. The meeting will convene Permanent Secretaries and Directors from planning and Human Resources (HR) of the various ministries and will aim at building consensus on how to take the NPA forward. The process will include defining and harmonizing their respective mandates within the framework of delivering the national plan of action on the HIV and AIDS workplace response.
3. Consultancy to review Human Resource policy guidelines for the public sector, within the framework of delivering the NPA
The consultancy will be undertaken to critically examine existing policies on Human Resource for the public sector and the HIV and AIDS-related guidelines (ARV guidelines, Code of conduct, Public Sector HIV/AIDS workplace policy, HIV/AIDS handbook for public service), in view of identifying complementary areas (principles and actions) that reinforce and support the national policy framework and plan of action on HIV/AIDS and the world of work. The consultancy will take cognizance of the policy provisions of existing public sector HR guidelines, ensuring that these provisions relevantly align towards the effective delivery of HIV and AIDS workplace responses in the public sector.
4. Setting workplans to take the NPA forward
Relevant government ministries, departments and agencies will prepare workplans, including budgets, for improved coordination and capacity building as deemed by the participating government ministries.
5. Support to the Ministry of Public Service and Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development to support the dissemination and practical translation of Resolutions
The lead ministries in implementing the national plan of action on HIV/AIDS and the world of work develop regulations on actions (HR and HIV and AIDS) and disseminate them for adoption among the various government ministries, departments and agencies.