Geographical area of implementation: Egypt: Cairo and the selected governorates: Minya (agriculture sector), Port Said (manufacturing sector), Red Sea (tourism sector) in phase I from 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2016, in addition to Luxor (agriculture sector) in phase II from 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2019.
Project BackgroundThe purpose of the project is to put the Government of Egypt, actors on the governorate and community level, civil society partners, the private sector, and young people in a better position to create and access decent work opportunities.
The core problem that will be tackled through the project is the increasing lack of decent work opportunities for young people (aged 15-29), especially for young women.
In order to give a full account on various experiences, the selected governorates are dominated by different sectors: El– Minya and Luxor by agriculture, Port-Said by industry, and Red Sea by tourism.
Objectives and expected outcomes:
- Strengthening the Egyptian Ministry of Manpower (MoM), other relevant ministries and national partners, with a focus on contributing to the development of policies and implementation of youth employment programmes.
- Contributing to the development of policies and implementation of youth employment programmes in the selected governorates while encouraging local partners to provide related services.
- Developing the capacity of skills training institutions through modern apprenticeship systems for youth in the informal sector, in addition to developing and providing entrepreneurship education packages for undergraduates, graduates, poor rural women and persons with disabilities.
- Strengthening the capacity of local public and private employment services, training for employment programmes and youth organizations to efficiently match skills supply and demand.
- Promoting enterprise development and self-employment through a promotional campaign, improved policy environment, and strengthened business services to reach youth.
Approaches for sustainable development:The project will mainstream four approaches for sustainable development throughout all activities:
- Green jobs
- Social economy
- Gender equality
- Community-based approaches for inclusion (Persons with disabilities)
National & Local Counterparts:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA)
- Ministry of Investment & International Cooperation (MoIIC)
- Ministry of Manpower (MoM)
- Ministry of Youth & Sports (MoYS)
- Ministry of Social Solidarity (MoSS)
- Ministry of Planning, Monitoring & Administrative Reform (MoP)
- Ministry of Local Development (MoLD)
- Ministry of Tourism (MoT)
- Ministry of Environment (MoE)
- Ministry of Communications & Information technology (MoCIT)
- Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE)
- Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE)
- Ministry of Trade & Industry (MoTI)
- Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS)
- Medium, Small and Micro Enterprise Development Agency (MSMEDA)
- Project’s Governorates
- Investors Associations in the governorates
- Training & Employment Officials at MoM and other relevant ministries
- Training & Employment Officials in the governorates
- Business support services providers
- Public employment services
- Vocational Training Centres of MOTI, MoM and MoSS
- Technical Secondary Schools
- Universities/ technical colleges
- Youth Centres
For further information, please contact:
Decent Jobs for Egypt's Young People ProjectILO DWT/CO- Cairo
Project Office/ Cairo : 9 Dr. Taha Hussein St., Zamalek, Cairo
Tel. + 202 - 27350123
Fax. +202 – 27360889
Minya Project’s Office:Ms Jehan Yacoub- Focal Point
Address: Minya Governorate main building, First floor, Minya - Egypt
Tel./ Fax: + 2086- 2329277
Port Said Project’s Office:Mr El Sayed Ramadan- Focal Point
Address: Port Said Governorate Old Building, First Floor, Office No. # 3
Tel.: + 2066-3230510
Fax: + 2066-3234385
Red Sea Project’s Office:Ms Nawal Yassien- Focal Point
Address: Red Sea Governorate building, third floor, Red Sea - Egypt
Tel./ Fax: + 2065- 3543469