The ILO and the International Monetary Fund organized a two-day national consultative Conference on promoting job-rich growth in Zambia, in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance and National Planning and the Ministry of Information, Broadcasting and Labour.
Titled “Towards a new growth strategy for employment, decent work and development in Zambia”, the high level Conference was held on May 21-21, 2012 at the New Government Complex in Lusaka. The Conference brought together participants representing Zambian social partners, key Government line Ministries, the private sector, civil society, academia, and other stakeholders to discuss policy options necessary to stimulate job rich growth in the Zambian economy. The International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) as well as the International Organization for Employers (IOE) also participated.
The consultation in Zambia is part of a three-country project which includes Bulgaria and the Dominican Republic. The project aims at enhancing tripartite social dialogue, and recognizes the crucial role such exchanges can play in building consensus on economic policies. To this end, the participating institutions will present their respective analyses of policies, which could help generate more and better employment opportunities.
- Opening Speech by His Honour the Vice President of the republic of the Zambia , DR. Guy Scott, MP,
- Opening remarks by Seán Nolan, Deputy Director African Department International Monetary Fund
- Opening Remarks by Mr Jaap Wienen Deputy General Secretary of the ITUC
- Welcome Remarks by Mr. Martin Clemensson, , Director of the ILO Country Office for Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique
- Speech by Hon Alexander Chikwanda, Minister of finance
- Speech by Mr. Alfred Masupha, Zambia Federation of Employers president
- Speech by Mr. Leobard Hikaumba, Zambia Congress of Trade Union
- Final remarks by Martin Clemensson, ILO Director
- Presentation by Alun Thomas, African Department International Monetary Fund
- Presentation by Grayson Koyi, Economics Association of Zambia
- Presentation by Hon Fackson Shamenda, MP, Minister of Information,
- Presentation by Lawrence Egulu, ILO/Geneva
- Presentation Mwaka Kopakopa , Youth Entrepreneur
- Presentation by By Nils Maehle
- Presentation by Vic van Vuuren, ILO
- Presentation by Mr. R D Gupta , Vice president Zambia Federation of Employers
- Presentation by Leonard Hikaumba; President, President Zambia Congress of Trade Unions
- Leading the Way to Sustainable and Inclusive Globalization - Message by Juan Somavia at the Spring Meetings of the IMF and World Bank
- After the ILO-IMF conference in Oslo, what's next?
- IMF and ILO Launch Background Paper on the “Challenges of Growth, Employment and Social Cohesion”
- "The Challenges of Growth, Employment and Social Cohesion" - Joint ILO-IMF Conference in Cooperation with the Office of the Prime Minister of Norway
- The ILO and the G20