A technical meeting organised within the framework of the Africa - European Union (EU) Migration, Mobility and Employment (MME) Partnership and aimed at providing a snapshot of policy frameworks, programmes and coordination mechanisms put in place by Regional Economic Communities in Africa; the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS); the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS), the East African Community (EAC); the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD); the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA); and the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
The meeting aims to identify potential measures and initiatives that can boost the contribution of the RECs to the goals of the MME Partnership. In terms of employment, social protection and higher education the meeting looked at the state of play of the relevant initiatives of the MME action plan. Participants discussed how to advance employment, social protection and higher education in the RECs and the role of the RECs in the MME initiatives. In the area of migration and mobility the meeting specifically focused on free movement, which is a key objective of all the RECs and the MME Partnership.
- To share and exchange experiences and best practices on building and implementing regional and REC driven Migration, Mobility, Employment and Higher Education policies and programmes.
- To craft recommendations for advancing employment, social protection and higher education in the RECs and the role of the RECs in the MME initiatives, including the relevance of these initiatives for the RECs and possible initiatives or mechanisms which could be considered for the next MME Action Plan.
- To identify means and initiatives which can advance free movement in the RECs.
- To develop recommendations for strengthening the role of the RECs in the MME Partnership.
- The RECs, AUC, EC, and key partners have gained a deeper knowledge and understanding of the Migration, Mobility, Employment and Higher Education programmes, policies and strategies of the RECs, and challenges faced in meeting their goals.
- Potential means and initiatives that can boost the contribution of the RECs to the goals of the MME Partnership have been identified.
- Key staff working in Migration, Mobility, Employment and Higher Education areas in ECOWAS, ECCAS, EAC, IGAD, COMESA and SADC
- African states that are current chairs of the participating RECs
- Selected EU MS that work with the RECs on Migration, Mobility, Employment and Higher
- International Organizations, including ICMPD, ILO, IOM, UNECA, UNHCR and UNODC
- AUC, EC